Monday 10 January 2011

waking up




Hibernation & Waking Up:

Spring 2010


To waken up, arise, arouse, recover, rejuvenate, make new again, refresh, breathe new life into,exhilarate, give new life to, reanimate, reclaim, reconstruct, restore, renew, rekindle, stimulate, evolve…


This project intends to explore the moment when life begins again in the garden. Inspired by the coldest winter in over 30 years, I began by looking at the phenomenon of hibernation. Which animals hibernates and why?



My focus gradually moved from the negative aspects of this winter, such as the loss of many beloved animals - the kingfisher, heron, deer and many others who fell victim to the harsh conditions – I began to study the more optimistic event of spring. Precisely the instance when things waken up.


My study took place in the setting of my own garden, photographing it over the course of a month. Starting with almost complete bareness and lack of colour, small shoots began to appear, bursting through the soil and heading up towards the warmth.

I created a range of CAD designs for fashion-wear, oversized utility jackets; thick military styled shirts and combat shorts, but with an optimistic feminine twist.

Capturing the beauty of delicate spring bulbs and exposed shoots, small flickers of colour in amongst earthy browns, tired grays and dried up leaves. Concentrating on the patterns of nature, and the juxtapositions between the old and the new I continued to evolve my project.

Photography was my main tool I then edited and developed my images using Photoshop as well as lots of organic drawing, painting and collages to explore the texture, composition and structure of the garden.

some developmental drawing and collage



I see my designs being taken further into samples, printed onto utilitarian/military styled materials, and eventually worn as women’s early spring daywear - offering warmth and protection whilst keeping feminine and fashionable, on the last few weeks of winter and the first few weeks of spring.

some CAD samples


waking up pansies - brown


snakes head fritillary - green



snakes head fritillary - peach



No comments:

Post a Comment