Wednesday 12 January 2011

e t h n o b o t a n y

ethnobotany square - open




Throughout my time on my course, I have shown a continued interest in natural forms and patterns derived from nature. In my third year rail project I attempted to improve the environment in overcrowded train carriages by creating a pleasant feng-shui atmosphere. I also looked into the idea of ‘vertical gardens’ and ‘living walls’ and considered using herbs and other plants, not only for inspiration for my constructed textiles and patterns but also to change the smell and air quality in an enclosed space.

I returned once again to my interest in nature during my self-motivated project, titled ‘waking up’ in which I explored the moment when life begins again in the garden after winter has past.

My passion for plants and wildlife predominantly stems from working in a garden centre. During my time there my knowledge on the subject has gradually developed and I have become increasingly interested in ethnobotany - the scientific study of the relationships that exist between people and plants.

I intend to explore the subject of ethnobotany, highlighting the importance of plants and their many uses. I am specifically interested in returning to my previous idea of improving the quality of an environment for our senses, such as fragranced textiles, which can contribute to a clean atmosphere.

A garden is a setting of relaxation and escape for many, a place where you can unwind from the chaos of modern life. My intention is to find a way of replicating this notion into a textile collection, imitating feelings of serenity and intertwining mood-enhancing aromas into a knitted structure.

For visual inspiration I will look at people’s interactions with plants. Not just the growing of plants and vegetables but also the environment in which this takes place – greenhouses and allotments and all of the man made structures and forms found juxtaposed next to the vegetation. Interest is also placed upon store cupboards and cabinets where some of the produce is transformed into remedies and medicines - the drying and storing of herbs, jarring preserves, the tools, labels, air-tight jars, bottles and racks.

Colour selection and choice of materials will also be obtained from the notion of human interaction with herbs. Bold turquoise, glittering blues and bottle greens in fine cottons and sheer rayons will reflect the impression of glass whilst deep browns, chestnuts and wines will imitate jars filled with preserved produce. Careful use of dramatic berry red and lime green will give a vital burst of colour to an otherwise sophisticated pallet.

My final outcome will assume a refined country living style, appealing to outdoor lovers. My proposed collection will compliment current fashion trends paying homage to British heritage with waxed jackets, tweed and equestrian jodhpurs.

My structured knitted designs can be used in an interior context with specific interest being placed on a textile that has the ability to improve an environment. However, I would also like to explore the possibility of a garment, which shares similar qualities, allowing a wearer to experience the same traits.

Here are some of my CAD designs which will compliment my knitted samples....






ethnobotany square jars

ethnobotany repeat - open

ethnobotany - recipe

ethnobotany - recipe

ethnobotany square - collage

ethnobotany square - collage 2

ethnobotany square - recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment